Saturday, November 23, 2013

Project # 2: PLN Final Summary

My PLN is a work in progress and involves the development of many personal relationships with educators in the local area. Because my PLN involves personal connections, I will keep the names of my contacts private to respect their privacy online. However, I will provide details of some of the information that these selected individuals have supplied me in my ongoing search and development of my PLN. Each of the contacts I will discuss are at three different local elementary schools so I can gain a diverse and representative group of educators to offer advise and guidance as I pursue my education degree.
http://sfbaybiorecruiter.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/images-personal-network.jpg?w=274&h=184

Firstly, I have recently spoken in depth with a current principal of a local elementary school.  He and I have discussed many issues currently ongoing in the present educational system such as the implementing the common core, attempting new math teaching strategies, teacher training in new techniques and good methods for concerned parent interactions.  He has expressed both concerns and strategies to facilitate where education is heading.  Like many current educators, he is on board with technology and everything it has to offer in a classroom.  This particular principal is an enthusiastic educator and I love that he is always willing to voice his opinions.  Connections like this are rare and I am appreciative to have this connection and friendship.  I will stay in touch with this educator for future recommendations along with any future questions that may arise.

Secondly, I have visited my son’s kindergarten class on several occasions and had a number of meetings with both his teacher and principal. These interactions allow me to continue to gather ideas and strategies on how to approach my classroom.  My son’s teacher has been kind enough to show me what a teacher deals with on a day to day basis: the discipline issues, integrating the latest education theory, and implementing SMARTboard lesson plans, iPads and Computer stations when doing learning stations. By visiting my son’s school, I have been able to see how basic operations are implemented within the walls of a school.

Finally, another connection of mine that has been a long-term inspiration for me due to her enthusiasm and commitment to the betterment of her special education classroom at a another local elementary school.  I have now known this teacher for three years.  She has allowed me to visit her classroom and I have listened to many stories on the difficulties teachers can face when teaching special needs.  She is very dedicated and I know I will continue to ask her for advice even when I have my own classroom. This teacher never stops searching for the newest and latest practices to implement new learning and coping strategies. Her knowledge is diverse and expansive. Additionally, she has many connections within the area and had introduced me to many other educators here in Baldwin County. 

I will continue to build my learning network of educators throughout my educational journey.  Being well connected is important in every field.  We must always look for peers that can provide us with ideas that only come with experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment