Saturday, November 23, 2013

C4K Summary for November

My first student to comment on in November was on Vaifoa's blog. Vaifoa is in sixth grade at Pt. England School in Auckland, New Zealand.  This student wrote a very detailed story about being alone and entering a cabin where there was blood everywhere.  I assumed this was not true.  However, I did ask in my comment if it was, in fact, a real experience he had encountered.  Here was my comment below:

   http://www.tasteofcinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/the-evil-dead-cabin12.jpg Vaifoa, my name is Brantley Spillman. I am a student at the University of South Alabama.  Throughout this semester, I have commented on several students’ blogs throughout the world, although, you are the third student from the Pt. England School that I have commented upon.  I loved the story you wrote! Your writings created a really vivid image.  Is this a true story?  If so, then I am not sure I would have entered the cabin.  I can see you really enjoyed your writing assignment. Continue to keep up the good work.  Thanks for sharing your post.

My second assignment was to comment on an entire class’s blog.  For this lesson, I was assigned to Ms. George’s first grade class, also at Pt. England School in Auckland, New Zealand.  I was initially disappointed, but quickly realized that these were first graders.  I often ask myself if blogging is beneficial or appropriate at younger ages?  The class’s blog title was “Big Shells and Little Shells.”  Here was my response below:


http://sarahstuartt.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/jessica-alba-beach-shells.jpg Hey guys! My name is Brantley Spillman.  I am also a student at University of South Alabama.  I have enjoyed reading your school’s blogs throughout this semester.  I, also, live on the water, although, I rarely find pretty seashells like the ones you have shown.  However, I do catch lots of fish.  I really enjoy fishing in my free time. I hope you all continue to embrace the outdoors. Exploring nature was one of my favorite things to do as a child. I am glad to see you all enjoy it as well.  Good luck with your remaining school year. 

I believe I will remember the Pt. England School in Auckland, New Zealand the most when I recall commenting on student blogs. This school seems to have a relatively progressive mindset when it comes to blog use in the classroom. I appreciated seeing how it could be used at several grade levels.  Additionally, I have enjoyed getting a glimpse of how students interact with others throughout the world.  Seeing examples like this allows for future educators to gain a clear picture so as to prepare for his or her future classroom and technology implementation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment