Sunday, November 3, 2013

Blog Post #11

Ms. Cassidy’s interview by Dr. Strange and other undergrads highlighted some unique technology forward teaching strategies that she implements in her classroom. Her techniques include the use of video games, blogging, wikis, skype, and the development of a class web page.  


For fear of sounding redundant, I am aware of what technology brings to students and their educators. In becoming an elementary teacher, I do foresee using aspects of these technologies in my classroom. 

However, as discussed in the interview, I do see parents having issues with security. As a parent, I also would have strong hesitations about using open access technologies. I believe that some less technological strategies could gain the same end point. Using journals and hand-written pen pals with pre-approved classes in other parts of the world could offer the same motivation that a blog could without the concern for security in an elementary classroom. In this day and age, a snail mail letter is practically foreign to kids and could offer a motivational experience that Ms. Cassidy argues a blog provides.

Up to this point in my evaluations of technology, I have tried to be optimistic in their applications but hearing the application of blogs and video games in my child’s classroom education at such a young age does give me some pause. I do not want my kid playing video games in my home or in his/her school. I want him/her learning how to play outside and gaining social skills on a playground not behind a joystick or keyboard. I am sure that I am not the only parent with this position. As an elementary teacher, I would hope that I can find a happy medium in which my students are learning computer skills and gaining cultural connections in other ways. I think my biggest disconnect may be founded in the application of these tools at such a young age given I am interested in teaching elementary students. 

I would like to see the merging of old techniques with new. For example, it would be exciting to develop a relationship with a snail mail pen-pal and then have the opportunity to Skype with their pen pal at a later date.  Additionally, I do believe the application of iPads to implement learning games for short periods of time are of some use to young students and can build excitement for learning. Finally, I like the idea of a class webpage that would keep parents informed. This page could serve the same purpose as hanging a child’s artwork on the wall. However, this page will be private and require a username and password issued to only the parents and cancelled at the end of the school year. 

http://www.votility.com/Portals/171694/images/snail-mail-vs-email.jpeg

Overall, this interview has a similar tone to other videos we have watched throughout this semester.  Every teacher will figure out what direction his or her classroom needs to pursue. Unfortunately, my experience has been limited and I am not aware of all the techniques available to me. I hope to continue to build a set of tools to implement in my classroom. Technology is here to stay, however, I feel moderation is required to maintain the integrity and privacy of a classroom. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Brantley, I enjoyed reading your post. I totally agree with you about kids going outside and playing instead of being in the house playing video games. I think kids should develop social skills and be aware of what's out there beside video games. I understand technology is evolving but don't just depend on it. Let kids use there creativity minds. Overall, GREAT POST!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Unfortunately, my experience has been limited and I am not aware of all the techniques available to me. " That's why you have to take EDM310 - to expand your experiences.

    "I feel moderation is required to maintain the integrity and privacy of a classroom." Classroom privacy? There is none and probably should be none. How does "moderation" (I presume you mean moderate use of technology) affect the "integrity" of the classroom?

    ReplyDelete