Sunday, October 13, 2013

C4T #2 Summary

 

My assigned educator was Jen Deyenberg.  Ms. Deyeberg has been teaching for 10 years.  She has taught in both Alberta (Canada) and Scotland.  Ms. Deyenberg is currently the Learning Services Coordinator for Education Technology in Whitecourt, Alberta in Canada. She seems very knowledgeable in technology and the capabilities it can bring to the classroom. 

My first comment on Ms. Deyenberg’s blog was her post on video games in the classroom.  Her paper was very well written.  I enjoyed her idea on how video games can equalize learning for kids with disabilities and provide them the ability to achieve goals similar to the other students.  Additionally, this is the first educator that commented on my comment.  Below is the conversation:

Brantley Spillman says:
My name is Brantley Spillman, and I am a student at the University of South Alabama. Your post on ‘video games in the classroom’ was an interesting read. Obviously, technology is changing the face of education worldwide including the popularity of video games. As an educator, we have many technological options to supplement our school year. I do believe integrating educational video games can bring a sense of excitement to our classroom that would attract many students that would otherwise be uninterested in learning. However, like anything, moderation should be a concern as video games have been well documented to have an addictive nature for many children. I would like to see my kids embrace these options to enhance learning, but simultaneously promote hands-on tasks. Students will encounter many difficult life challenges that will be hard to correlate to conquering level II of a video game. Thanks for sharing.
Moderation is definitely key, but I see passing level 2 as very much real life. How many times do we set a goal and then overcome challenges to get to a place where we earn a reward or pause to celebrate. Video games allow students to progress at a level that they are functioning in and scaffold with hints, clues, and assistance right when they need it. There are also more serious games that can help with life challenges. Super Better https://www.superbetter.com/ comes to mind as a game where you can set targets to help move forward in life.
Thanks for taking the time to comment!
 
It is clear that Ms. Deyenber is a passionate supporter of technology in the classroom.  We need more educators like her to defend the direction of modern day education.

Ms. Deyenberg’s more recent blog post is titled “Assistive Technology Toolkit – Read&Write For Google”.  I was a bit confused with this read. It was well written, but most of the terminology was unknown to me. Luckily, I am a “student scholar” and looked up the terminology for a better understanding of her post. Once I read up on these terms, I realized I was more familiar with them than I originally thought. I was just unaware of the technology language. This was a great learning experience for me.

Ms. Deyenberg began her post by introducing “GAFE” (Google Apps For Education).  Ms. Deyenberg defined GAFE as, “ a program that provides a delivery platform for cloud based tools.”  Terminology such as “cloud based tools” is new to me. After researching, I learned that she is referring to computer learning programs that are not limited to the computer they are installed. Meaning, these tools are downloadable from the internet.
http://blog.softheme.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/cloud-computing1.jpg

As I continued to read, Ms. Deyenberg explains the benefits of yet another tool, Read&Write.  One of its beneficial qualities is that this tool offers students the ability to hear what they have written.  Not only will the students be able to listen for their mistakes, but this tool will pause for punctuation errors as well.  This feature will allow students to solve punctuation issues with a hands-on approach.  Read&Write will also help students to learn how to properly pronounce numbers as words.  Larger numbers are difficult for young students to pronounce.  This tool can provide a hands-on approach to learning how to pronounce these large complicated numbers.  Furthermore, Read&Write will help students with mathematic problems.  The numbers from a math problem will be read out loud.  This will allow students to not only see the problem, but hear it as well. By hearing the math problem, the student will gain a more in depth understanding. 

I enjoyed my C4T #2 assignment more than my C4T #1 assignment.  I gained a better understanding on what technology has to offer in the classroom for any level of education from Ms. Deyenberg’s blog.  Her knowledge of technology is what I am striving to achieve at some point in my career.  I enjoyed this assignment and will continue to check in on her blog for new ideas and learning opportunities. 


No comments:

Post a Comment