Saturday, September 7, 2013

Blog Post #3



What I have learned….

A “peer” has nothing to do with age. Over and over, I listened to the definition of a peer. The responsibility of a peer is to offer constructive assessments. However, I believe, the method used in assessing a peer has everything to do with the age or level of accomplishment of who is being assessed. The assigned slides showed the accepted method to assess elementary students. With regards to those methods, staying positive to offer constructive criticism is absolutely necessary for younger students.  However, when students reach a certain accomplishment level or age, we must shift how our assessments are presented to these individuals.  

Compliments, suggestions, and corrections? Sure, these methods are important for a young developing student.  Although, depending on the age/accomplishment levels, we must be able to choose a method, as an educator, that is applicable to the student at hand.  I relate these assessment techniques to a new reoccurring mentality in children’s’ sports: winning no longer matters, play for fun. I agree, depending on age/accomplishment level. At some point, in any student’s development, an educator must present honesty within his or her critique. Not all kids can grow up to be professional athletes but in order to maintain the necessary competition to develop a professional athlete, “losers” have to be weeded out. However, as an educator, I can guide them to find a different strength they may excel in if given ample opportunity.

Specifically, assessing a college student should not be approached in the same manner as an elementary student.  There is an age, where honesty simply matters. As educators, we cannot be afraid to present the hard truth to a student struggling to achieve a goal that may not be their calling. Sugar coating wastes both the educator’s and the student’s time and money. A glimpse of reality has to be implemented through our constructive techniques. “Mean Margaret” may have a place in critiquing accomplished students attempting to achieve the “wrong” goals.



Remember, ages/accomplishment levels are the key. There is a time and place for positive criticism. There is also a time and place for honesty. Life is not always easy. If we set our students up to believe, “they can do anything”, then we are setting them up for failure. I believe we should not cushion our assessments of a student’s abilities, even though the truth may go down hard. Our role, as an educator, becomes redefined as a guide to find their true strengths.

3 comments:

  1. Brantley, I like how you have compared assessing students to the sports mentality "winning no longer matters, play for fun". You are right about having to weed out the students who will not become professional athletes. Are you saying as an educator you will have to weed out students who may not learn as well as others? As you stated we must guide students to a different strength they may excel in.
    "If we set our students up to believe, “they can do anything”, then we are setting them up for failure."
    I somewhat agree with this statement because growing up and realizing you may not be able to accomplish everything is tough. But as an elementary teacher I think it is vital for us to believe in our students. If my teachers had never believed in me I'm not so sure I would be where I am now. You are right about there being a time and place for honesty but I think setting them up for failure is a harsh way to phrase it. I want my students to know that anything is possible and sometimes you have to do whatever it takes to get there. Is this something you would express to your students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brantley!

    I enjoyed reading your blog assignment #3. Your form was well organized and I got an excellent idea of your thought process of the topic. I found no grammatical errors and I have no suggestions on word changes. A few elements that I noticed was that you never explained/summarized the two videos and slideshow, there were no links in your post, and you didn’t explain how you plan to critique the peers in your assigned group. I agree that staying positive to offer constructive criticism is absolutely necessary for younger students, and that as they develop and grow older our assessments and critiques change and form to fit the age, but I believe positivity is also necessary for peers at any age!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "At some point, in any student’s development, an educator must present honesty within his or her critique." And later: "There is an age, where honesty simply matters." Interesting. I think it would be difficult to convince me that not being honest is ever useful. At any age. Maybe you emphasize "a better way" but you should never say "that works" when it doesn't. Holly says we should "believe in our students." You do not discuss this. I would say we can hope for or try to help. Believing that all are equally competent is beyond the pale - at least for me!

    "There is a time and place for positive criticism. There is also a time and place for honesty." Honesty and positive are not always incompatible!

    Thoughtful. Interesting. Well done.

    ReplyDelete